Google Hangouts are used by staff to communicate during emergencies. You should have Hangouts installed and running on your computer and iPad.
You can use Hangouts to send messages, make voice and video calls, and share photos.
Hangouts are synced automatically across devices, so you can start a Hangout on your computer and continue on another device, like your phone.
What you can do with Hangouts
- Send Hangouts messages: You can start a Hangout with only one person or have a group chat with several people.
- Make video calls: You can have face-to-face video calls with up to 9 other people.
- Make phone calls: Almost all calls you make to the U.S. and Canada are free from all countries where Hangouts calling is available. A few U.S. and Canadian destinations will cost 1 cent per minute (USD), or the listed rate for your local currency. Calling isn't available to all locations.
- Send text messages: You can send text messages using Hangouts with your Android device or your Google Voice phone number.
- Share photos, locations, and stickers: You can share photos, stickers, and emoji in conversations. On mobile devices, you can also share your location with other people.
What you'll need to get started on Hangouts
- A Google Account
- Access your computer's mic and camera
Open Hangouts on your computer
- hangouts.google.com: Hangouts is available at hangouts.google.com.
- Gmail: Hangouts is automatically turned on in Gmail.
- Inbox by Gmail: Hangouts is automatically turned on in Inbox by Gmail.
- Chrome browser extension: Download the Hangouts Chrome extension. A Chrome browser or Chrome OS device is required.
- Chrome desktop app: Download the Hangouts Chrome desktop app. The app is supported on Windows, Chrome OS, Mac and Linux operating systems.